apauley (1) [Avatar] Offline
The section on paradigms is nice and simple, I like how you make it clear where OO and FP fits in with each other.

Something to consider with regards to how the paradigms are structured (a possible alternative, I don't claim to be more correct):
I've found it useful to contrast imperative programming with declarative programming.
Functional and logic programming would then be examples of the declarative paradigm, similar to how procedural and OO is listed as part of the imperative paradigm in the drawing.

A one-line description of imperative programming may be something like recipe-programming, where you tell the computer each step (and the order of the steps matters).
We can then say that with declarative programming you rather tell the computer what result you are interested in, and it will figure out the recipe on its own.

A benefit of listing FP as declarative is that you can mention some familiar non-FP technology that also follows the declarative approach, eg. SQL queries.
aslam.khan (50) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Programming Paradigms (Ch 1, p. 8)
Thanks Andreas.

That is a useful distinction to make. Somewhere later I do mention being declarative. So, it may be useful to introduce the idea earlier.