rickumali (130) [Avatar] Offline
I've decided to write a short blog-type post every week here on this forum. These posts are exclusive to this forum, and they will primarily be about the writing of the book.

One of the things that worried me initially about this project was the page count. In the contract, there's a sentence specifying page count. It says "[The book] shall be 350 to 400 published pages in length and shall include approximately 100 illustrations." Gulp!

I remember speaking with my neighbor, a researcher with a doctorate in chemistry. I asked him how long his dissertation was, and I was quite impressed when he said it was over 300 pages. "That's a lot!" I thought.

Well, tonight, I surprised myself. Counting all the completed (though not fully reviewed) chapters, I have written 240 pages so far. I also counted the number of figures: 202.

In a related exercise, I counted the words I had written: just under 9500! That was disappointing, to some extent. Publishers of works of fiction measure their books by words, and 9500 words is only the halfway-point to a novella. (The novel "Ulysses", by James Joyce, is 265,000 words, and the shortest Harry Potter book, "Philosopher's Stone", by J.K. Rowling, is 77,000 words).

For those of reading, Thank You!