echeadle (87) [Avatar] Offline
You wrote: "Next you need to make a small modification to the /etc/neutron/api-paste.ini
file. This configuration pertains to authentication on the API level."

What is the modification? I scanned the chapter but missed it. I checked the logs and saw the error message: " neutron.service RuntimeError: Unable to load quantum from configuration file /etc/neutron/api-paste.ini."
cody.bumgardner (57) [Avatar] Offline
Re: What is the change to /etc/neutron/api-paste.ini
Hi Echeadle,

Are there any errors before this? If you have not already try setting "verbose=True" in /etc/neutron/neutron.conf to see what is going on before this error appears.

What is interesting is that "Quantum", the old code name for OpenStack Networking is mentioned. I was worried that I had left something referencing Quantum in the configuration files, but I didn't see anything.

This post might provide a hint to track this down: https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/28431/unable-to-load-quantum-from-configuration-file-etcneutronapi-pasteini-icehouse/

Previously you were using RHEL, is this still the case?

Here is another possible issue that might be a difference between automated dependencies installed by one OS (Ubuntu), but not by another (RHEL): http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2013-November/003475.html

In terms of the reference to api-paste.ini in the book, with Icehouse you should not need to modify the /etc/neutron/neutron.conf from what comes with the distribution. In configurations related to previous versions of OpenStack I was making the configuration, so reference to api-paste.ini is an overlooked artifact that should be removed.

In general I need to explain the entire configuration system. In addition, configuration options need to be explain. However, if this was done in Chapter 5 it would be very long, so my thought was to get through Ch5 and then explain detailed configuration in chapters related to their matching control configurations. I expect I will still have to come back and add additional information to Ch5, but this is the current plan.

Thanks,
Cody
The problem was a typo. ml2 vs m12.

I was using Red Hat when I installed DevStack. I am short on time at the moment, I so i thought it would be faster to use Ubuntu. I can follow along with what your are doing without the need to figure out the OS differences. I am almost through with the chapter and when i get some time I will take what I learned and install it on Red Hat. I have been messing around and made some interesting mistakes. I have learned more about the keystone command, removed a service I accidentally added twice caused other complications, but since I am using ubuntu I can easily check my work against the book. I expect to be waiting for the next chapter very soon. While I am waiting I will probably try a Red Hat install.

I like chapter 5, I have been reading the openstack architecture documents to get a better sense of what is going on and I ran through the neutron config file. There is a lot to openstack and I like how you are focused on providing a working example with clear explanations. Reading your book and the documentation on the site has helped me tremendously.

I eagerly await the next chapter. I am reading about 13 MEAPS at the moment so i keep busy, but I have to say this is among the best of the books. I think the plan for the book is outstanding and the execution has been great. I am reading Openstack's documentation and I think this is a wonderful complement to the documents provide by the project.

Message was edited by:
echeadle
Echeadle,

Thanks for the kind words. Readers like yourself certainly provide motivation to go the extra mile!

While I will explain the configuration files in detail in the component-specific chapters (6-smilie, I expect I will have to come back an add some missing explanation to configs in ch5.

I am trying to think of a reasonable way to reference key controller side configurations as they related to the resource node configuration.

In ch 6-9, do you think it would be reasonable to add a listing referencing relevant controller side configuration before showing the resource node side?

Thanks,
Cody
"In ch 6-9, do you think it would be reasonable to add a listing referencing relevant controller side configuration before showing the resource node side?"

I think a listing of relevant controller side configuration before going on with the explanation of the resouce side would be good. The OpenStack config files are huge and providing a listing of the portions you are changing would add context to what we are doing and why.

I hesitate to give guidance because of my lack of understanding of the subject and lack of understanding of what you are suggesting would look like. But I do like the idea of getting context because it would tie it all together.
Sounds like a reasonable thing to do for me. As I complete final edits on Ch6 I will work those in.

Cody