Magnitus (70) [Avatar] Offline
In my opinion, spending half a page reading about it detracts from the topic at hand, especially if you disagree (which I do).

Those names might be ugly to the general public (and maybe some hip synonym could be found for their sake), but they are useful for describing to technology professionals what those things are meant for, though it would be cool if once in a while, people used the full name at first instead of the abbreviations to remind us what those things are (I think good books teaching you about those things do that).

It would make for an interesting discussion on an internet forum, but I think it the context of the book, it just serves as a needless distraction from the topic at hand.
Evan Hahn (70) [Avatar] Offline
Re: @Ugly Names Early in Chapter 3
This book is intended for beginners. When I start with a new technology, I often find myself bewildered by all of the names. In the case of Express, there are request handlers, routers, views, and many more. Not to mention the many Node terms, too! I intended that intro as a, "Hey, don't worry, I know new terms are coming at you left and right, but the concepts are easy."

I'll look into reworking that intro.
Magnitus (70) [Avatar] Offline
Re: @Ugly Names Early in Chapter 3
There's "beginner to Express" and "beginner to web development or software development in general" beginner.

I think you'll have many web developping (and MVC) veterans reading your book to pickup Express as opposed to web development and a lot of the names Express use will be intuitively familiar (for example, anybody who has done MVC knows what a views is in the context of a web framework) and the common underlying technologies (ex, HTTP) certainly should be.

For example, before learning Node.js/Express, I had done some Web2py, Webpy, PHP and ASP.Net at various points in my life.

I appreciate you covering some of the common vocabulary for web beginners, but I kind of roll my eyes when that vocabulary is labeled as "too obscure".