mogren (1) [Avatar] Offline
Some comments and suggestions from my first read through of chapter 1 and 2.

* Everywhere, "it's" -> "it is" - Easier to read, I think. There are 54 "it's" in the book so far

* Page 3, 1.2, "Developers have to make an uncomfortable choice..." -> "Before go developers had to make an uncomfortable choice..." - We know it's good! smilie

* Page 13, 1.5, "Go uses interfaces as the building blocks of code reuse" -> ? - Not sure to what, but it doesn't feel clear to me how interfaces are the building blocks of code reuse. They define behaviours yes, but code reuse to me sounds something more along the lines "Go uses composition instead of intheritance for code reuse." Comments?

* Page 15, 2.1, "To start, let's review the structure of the project" -> "To start, here is the structure of the project" - Repetition of "let's review" in the paragraph above

* Page 23, After Listing 2.15, "A slice is also a reference type" -> "A slice is a reference type" - To far away from the explanation of a map, the "also" is just confusing

* Page 27, After Listing 2.22, "In our range loop" -> "In our range loop" - Can't we just call it a for-loop?

* Page 27, After Listing 2.23, "but for now understand that the Match function calls into the implementation of each matcher's search logic for the feed type they support." ->
"but for now it is enough to know that Match will search the feed and output matches to the results channel." - Better to say what it does?

* Page 29, Last sentence, "This does not happen until all the results are processed." -> "This does not happen until all the messages in the results channel are processed." - Clarify a bit more

* Page 41, 2.4, "The rss document in listing 2.46 shows" -> "The rss document in listing 2.47 shows" - Wrong listing number.

* Page 48, 2.5, "Don't feel that after reading this chapter that everything needs to make sense or that you're expected to jump into Go and start building production level code. Use this chapter as a review to measure your understanding of the language as you continue to learn." ->
"You are not expected to grasp every part of the code in this chapter quite yet, but hopefully it has given you a feel for the structure and flow of the language as you continue to learn more about it." - Telling someone how to feel is something you should only do indirectly.

* Page 48, 2.5, "let us do some very powerful things in a few lines of code." -> "let us do some very powerful things in only a few lines of code." - The "only" gives the sentence better flow.

Overall:

* Good with chapter summaries at the end of both chapters

* Liked the rss-feed matcher example, but how long will those rss-feeds be available? Should some be saved in the github-repo? What about 3 years from now?

That's as far as I managed to read tonight. I'll give chapter 3 and 4 a read-through later.

/Claes Mogren
Bill Kennedy (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Review Chapter 1 and 2 of the updated v5_MEAP
Thanks for these edits. I will get these done ASAP but they can't be seen until the next release smilie
Bill Kennedy (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Review Chapter 1 and 2 of the updated v5_MEAP
Changes have been incorporated. We will see them on the next release.

Thanks !!