beb2 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I've just started with the book and got stuck right in the beginning of chapter 2.

When I'm walking through your "Try it now" in 2.1.
git config gives me its usage screen when I try your commands.
(I just installed git on windows version 1.9.4)
-- this made me realize that the bash window in windows does not seem to have an obvious copy/paste functionality. What do you do when you want to copy output from here

I also noticed that the git command git config --list does look different on my ubuntu installation. it shows only the vars that I had just set.

Hope this helps with getting the hickups out from here, I'm very happy someone finally took the task to offer a good grounding in git through "digestable bites". Information on it always seems to be either to little or too deep.

Cheers
Antje
rickumali (130) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 2
Thank you for this feedback!

Copying and pasting in the Git Bash window (in Windows) is confusing, and definitely not obvious. In the end, Windows users will need to copy and paste using the context menu (click on the upper-left hand corner of the Git Bash window to access this menu).

Take a look at this short YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WU2_2ZqkkU

In the first minute of this video, Chris explains how to enable "QuickEdit" mode for the CMD window, which is used by the Git Bash window. QuickEdit simplifies the copy/paste function somewhat.

Let me know what you think about this. Thanks for your feedback again!