duane (2) [Avatar] Offline
There are good reasons for making this change. The driving factor for me to investigate and use FP techniques was reading the paper Out Of the Tar Pit by Ben Moseley and Peter Marks February 6, 2006 (https://github.com/papers-we-love/papers-we-love/blob/master/design/out-of-the-tar-pit.pdf?raw=true).

This paper describes why Functional Relational programming is a superior form with real data and investigations.

Perhaps sighting this paper or using elements from this paper as rational for investigation FP.
aslam.khan (50) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Why change from OOP to FP
Thanks for reminding me of this paper. I recall it from a few years ago. I think it also covers Logic programming too and tries to establish an objective view of what each paradigm does to minimise software complexity.

The purpose of this book is not to debunk other paradigms in favour of FP. Instead, we will teach FP and let the reader decide on when and where to use it.

And in IMHO software simplicity comes from deep understanding of the domain and good design, regardless of the paradigm. Sometimes the paradigm we find ourselves is a constraint, and other times we get to choose the paradigm as a design advantage.
duane (2) [Avatar] Offline
> The purpose of this book is not to debunk other
> paradigms in favour of FP. Instead, we will teach FP
> and let the reader decide on when and where to use
> it.
>
> And in IMHO software simplicity comes from deep
> understanding of the domain and good design,
> regardless of the paradigm. Sometimes the paradigm
> we find ourselves is a constraint, and other times we
> get to choose the paradigm as a design advantage.

I look forward to reading more of your book. I look forward to a balanced teaching
of FP so that I can apply the paradigm to other languages.

I've read one other book that purported to tech FP so that one could use it in another language. The book failed in my opinion and turned into a book on his favorite FP language.

My goal is to apply the FP paradigm to non-FP languages. I have had success applying OOP concepts to non-OOP languages. I feel like FP should be no different.

Thank you and I look forward to more chapters.
aslam.khan (50) [Avatar] Offline
> My goal is to apply the FP paradigm to non-FP
> languages. I have had success applying OOP concepts
> to non-OOP languages. I feel like FP should be no
> different.

Certainly, that is possible. One goal for me with this book is that software developers will then learn enough of FP so that they can choose languages appropriately. Hence, I focus on FP as a style, a language and a way of thinking.

-- Aslam