Justice's Blindfold (5) [Avatar] Offline
I tried installing Scala on Windows 8.1, but ran into all sorts of problems with the .bat files having errors.

I installed Scala in Ubuntu using apt-get, but the version was 2.9.1, and the book says to get 2.10 or better.

I tried the examples on p 10 anyway, just to see. The print statement failed: "error: ';' expected but string literal found."

I found a hack (https://gist.github.com/visenger/5496675) to get 2.10, installed it, and got the same error on the print statement. I played around a little, and discovered that

print("Hello, World")

worked.
aslam.khan (50) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Scala problems
Hello Justice

I'm aware of the silly typo on the first REPL example. I was alerted to it in this thread http://www.manning-sandbox.com/thread.jspa?threadID=69262&tstart=0

It will be corrected with the next release. So, the correct syntax is "print(Hello, World")

With respect to the version of Scala... Later in the book we will rely on specific Scala classes in the standard SDK. For the early chapters, you most probably can get by with other 2.x versions.

I have not tried the following but have heard that installing IntelliJ IDEA Community edition on Windows with the Scala plug-in will install Scala too. Then, instead of using the command line REPL, just use the REPL in the IDEA.

Please share your experiences here, and thanks for the feedback.
Justice's Blindfold (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Scala problems
The hack I mentioned before has installed 2.10.3 onto my Ubuntu box. I have been able to work through all of the examples so far (I'm at page 83) with no problems. I'll be upgrading to 14.04.1 LTS shortly; if I run into any problems I'll let you now.

I've no real desire to install IDEA; someone else will have to try that.

Looks like there's a typo in your correction of the typo ... smilie
477764 (24) [Avatar] Offline
With respect to the version of Scala... Later in the book we will rely on specific Scala classes in the standard SDK. For the early chapters, you most probably can get by with other 2.x versions. hid vs halogen Halogen lights bulbs
aftermarket led headlight
best led fog light bulbs
best hid fog light bulbs
Best Led Headlight I have not tried the following but have heard that installing IntelliJ IDEA Community edition on Windows with the Scala plug-in will install Scala too. Then, instead of using the command line REPL, just use the REPL in the IDEA.