mwunderlich (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

After reading through this pre-release book, I am left with somewhat ambiguous feelings and I would be curious to hear what other readers think about the MEAP program.

On the one hand, it is great to get early access to a book on such a hot topic as Angular, so that one can start reading and learning in a structured manner. There are different learner types and following disjointed web tutorials on isolated aspects doesn't suit everyone. For those who prefer a book, this MEAP program is certainly helpful.

On the other hand, when working through this particular book and trying to get the example code to work, it felt a lot like testing a pre-alpha release of a very buggy piece of software. The many comments on the forum would also hint in this direction. This would be totally fine, if the book were open-source or published under a Creative Commons license. But Manning is a professional publishing house and will eventually be making money from this book. So, in this respect, the MEAP program seems more like a clever (?) way to get readers to work for free as editors, proof-readers and testers.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Martin
Lukas Ruebbelke (107) [Avatar] Offline
Re: A general comment on the MEAP program
Let me address this personally...

The problem is not the MEAP program but some internal factors which have affected the timeliness and quality of the book. I take full responsibility for the quality of the book as it is since I am able to now take full ownership of the end product. The current state of the book nor the code reflects the kind of book / sample app that I intend to release as the final product.

I am working very VERY hard to re-sequence the code and examples so that they follow a coherent narrative with minimal dependencies on things that are not strictly AngularJS. The bulk of the content still stands but with better code and sequencing, I believe that it will make a lot more sense and offer something for everyone from beginner to advanced developers.

With that said, feel free to level all feedback, criticisms and suggestions here. I want to write a book that everyone can learn from, enjoys and will share it with their friends.
mwunderlich (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Lukas,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and for clarifying the situation. I am looking forward to a final, polished version of the book.

Cheers,

Martin
samk3nny (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks Lukas. Looking forward to reading the latest update.
Someone (3) [Avatar] Offline
This is the first MEAP title I started reading and I must say, that after Chapter 1 I am also quite dissapointed.
What's the use of a "hello world" if it is buggy and incomplete.

(
It looks like the auther intended to write this:
<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/angularjs/1.0.4/angular.min.js"></script>
</head>
<body ng-app="helloApp">
<div ng-controller="HelloCtrl">
<p>{{greeting}} {{person}}</p>
<input ng-model="person">
</div>
<script>
angular.module('helloApp',[])
.controller('HelloCtrl', ['$scope', function ($scope) {
$scope.greeting = 'Hello';
$scope.person = 'World';
}]);
</script>
</body>
)

The fact that this thread is 8 months old and nothing has changed is not very reassuring. :(
This said, skimming through the later chapters, it may still become a good book. :)

I bought some other MEAP titles and it will be interesting to see how they are quality wise.