The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Misa (43) [Avatar] Offline
The bulleted item git diff master^ master at the bottom of page 24 is shown twice. Should one of them be git diff master^..master?

And what exactly does that dot-dot syntax mean? It appears to be interchangeable with a space character.
Mike McQuaid (83) [Avatar] Offline
Re: git diff invocations in v3 1.6.4
Fixed this, thanks. Will be in the next MEAP release.

I've added another example of using `..`. Essentially `..` and space are interchangeable but `..` can be used to omit the parameter and imply HEAD e.g. `git diff master~1..` == `git diff master~1..HEAD`. I'm not expanding on it in more detail because I don't think it's important to know or use the syntax beyond knowing that it's why you can't use `..` in branch names.