The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ccc31807 (9) [Avatar] Offline
I purchase MEAPs from time to time and find them worthwhile. I'm taking a serious look at yours.

Question: What programming technology (or technologies) will you be using?

Reason for asking: Over the years, I've developed a library of books that feature some arcane, esoteric, unmaintained technology, and these books are not really useful to me. I generally avoid books unless they use a generally accepted technology (such as R or Python) or are technology agnostic (like 'Data Analysis with Open Source Tools by Janert).

Thanks in advance for your answer, CC.
henrik.brink (22) [Avatar] Offline
Re: technology question
Hi there,

Most of our code samples are in Python and using common packages such as Numpy, Scipy, Pandas and Scikit-Learn. We may have a few in R as well.

The code samples are used mostly to illustrate concepts and should not be taken as full implementations. We will be working more on some of them, so we appriciate any feedback to find the right level of detail.

Thanks,
Henrik
ccc31807 (9) [Avatar] Offline
Henrik,

Thanks for your reply. I have the Toby Segaran book (Python) and the Drew Conway book (R) and can deal with both R and Python. Numpy and Scipy are fine. Philipp Janert is more technology agnostic - focusing on formulas and algorithms with workshops using a variety of technologies. He says the CONCEPT is much more important than the IMPLEMENTATION, and I agree.

I have found by experience that Manning books are pretty strong books and I look forward to adding yours to my library.

CC.
kveratis (3) [Avatar] Offline
I just purchased the MEAP of this book, and while I am finding the material useful, it would help to have an appendix of more complete implementations of the code. Illustrating concepts only in the text is all well and good, but usually these books are purchased to learn new skills. I'm glad I have a degree in computer engineering and a background in business intelligence to help guide me in working out the details, but even then it can be frustrating to work out all the subtle issues in getting the code to work right.
ssharma (51) [Avatar] Offline
+1
I have the same request.
r2d2 (6) [Avatar] Offline
Agree, especially when the book's title is '_Real-World_ Machine Learning'.
henrik.brink (22) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

The original idea was to simply push the reader in the right direction with our code snippets, focusing on understanding the concepts. But it's clear that we could improve some of the existing code listings and examples by going into more details.

A few of the later chapters will include full walkthroughs of real-world use-cases, including code, so hopefully that will satisfy some of these requests as well.

Thanks again,
Henrik
ssharma (51) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks Henrik.