antlypls (3) [Avatar] Offline
Below is a list of questions, notes and thoughts I got while reading MEAP v1, that are not yet mentioned on this forum.
I hope this feedback will be helpful.

On page 17:
> On a 64 bit machine, an integer in Go allocates 8 bytes of memory and represents a base 10 number.
"base 10 number" sounds odd. That’s just a number, regardless of numeral system.

On page 18, table at the top of the page says:
> Special Types:
> Type Size Representation
> string rune UTF-8

What do authors mean by saying that the size of string type is rune?

On page 19:
> The second form uses the short variable declaration operator ( := )
I’m not sure that it is correct to call := as an operator, since it is a shorthand for a regular variable declaration.
But that’s a rhetorical terminology question.

On page 19:
> Using the short variable declaration operator is a runtime expression …
"runtime expression" in this context sounds really odd and confusing for me, since variable declaration makes sense for compilation.
In my opinion the entire sentence should be rewritten, or term "runtime expression" must be clarified.

On page 20, table re initialized values:
> Complex 0
Initialized value should be 0 + 0i

On page 36:
> The keyword func is used to declare a function and the code is surrounded by curly braces { }. It is mandatory that the opening curly brace be placed on the same line as the func keyword.
That paragraph is from section called "Multiple Return Values”, but it talks about function declaration in general.
So it might be better to mention this when func keyword is used first time, or functions deserve more detailed discussion somewhere in 2nd chapter.
Bill Kennedy (69) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Several questions and notes about meap v1 release
Thanks for the time you took to send me these notes:

On Page 17: I need to think about that. I may be getting to technical.

On Page 18: Taken Care Of

On Page 19: That is what it is called - http://golang.org/ref/spec#Operators_and_Delimiters

On Page 19: That operator can only be used for variable assignments when the code executes. It can't be used at compile time. In fact, even though the = operator is used to declare constants, it is never called an assignment, it is still a declaration. So I am trying to distinguish something that happens when your program runs as opposed to what the compiler can do. I need to think about this more, I may be getting too technical.

Page 20: I can't find this on Page 20.

Page 36: I don't formally talk about functions because the MQR should know this already. So this is the first example of a function and therefore I mention it here.

Thanks again and please keep sending this feedback.
antlypls (3) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for your reply!

> Page 20: I can't find this on Page 20.
Same issue re initialized value for Complex is in MEAP v2, now it's on page 21, see listing 2.9 at the top of the page.
Bill Kennedy (69) [Avatar] Offline
Got It. Thanks !!