victorhooi (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I'm just wondering how AngularJS 2.0 will affect this MEAP?

http://blog.angularjs.org/2014/03/angular-20.html

I mean, one of the authors is a AngularJS developer *grins*.

Will the book be updated before publication to reflect the changes?

Or will it be strictly AngularJS 1.x, and we'll have to wait for a second edition later for 2.x?

Thanks,
Victor
Lukas Ruebbelke (107) [Avatar] Offline
Re: How will AngularJS 2.0 affect things?
Hi Victor --
2.0 is going to be a significant change over 1.x and is going to warrant a refresh.

With that said, we are in the home stretches of wrapping up the book and it will be complete WAY before 2.0 drops.
dnissley (5) [Avatar] Offline
Angular 2.0 is being written using EcmaScript 6 features, so it won't be widely compatible with browsers until after that standard is finalized around the end of the year (December 2014), and probably some more time after that as browsers refine their implementations of those features.

So even if 2.0 goes stable by early 2015 it's unlikely to see widespread adoption until late 2015 or early 2016.

tl;dr - Just focus on 1.X for now, 2.0 is still pretty far away.
49465 (9) [Avatar] Offline
Can't help but point out that in the 11 months since this thread started, and v2 is now starting to reveal itself in various parts. The new v2 router is part of the just-released v1.4, etc, etc. By April, several more radically different parts of v2 will be previewed.

I've definitely gotten value from this very, very long-running MEAP with my v1.x Angular development over the last 18 months. Thanks for that, truly.

But I don't think many folks will be interested in an AngularJS book covering only v1.3 by the time this book ships in April, especially given Google's forewarnings about all the breaking changes caused by v2.0.

This book would have been a winner if it shipped in October, 2014. But it's going to be a very tough sell by late Spring. Those of us that ponied up the $45 a long ways back have a right to say that.
49465 (9) [Avatar] Offline
lukas.ruebbelke wrote:Hi Victor --
2.0 is going to be a significant change over 1.x and is going to warrant a refresh.

With that said, we are in the home stretches of wrapping up the book and it will be complete WAY before 2.0 drops.

It's mid-March. If you published tomorrow, it would be too late. The 2.0 alpha is available now, and Google expects it to ship this summer. The all-important 2.0 router (not covered in the MEAP) is available now as part of v1.4. v2 is so different from v1.3 that you are doing a disservice to unknowing buyers.

This is a great piece of work, but you missed the market window. I can say that without feeling mean-spirited because I paid for it a lonnnng time ago. I'd advise that you redo for 2.0, even if it means delaying for 6-9 months. Otherwise, Manning will be seeing a lot of returns.
278782 (1) [Avatar] Offline
This book would have been a winner if it shipped in October, 2014. But it's going to be a very tough sell by late Spring. Those of us that ponied up the $45 a long ways back have a right to say that.

I agree. This book seemed like a good deal when I bought the EA edition in October 2013!!? Today, it seems completely irrelevant unless it switches focus to AngularJS 2.0 and the move to TypeScript
cdoremus (8) [Avatar] Offline
I agree with most of the posts in this thread, that, in its current form, this book is way out-of-date. It seems that there is enough known about Angular 2.0 from the recent ng-conf conference that a 2.0 preview chapter is in order. The new router in Angular 1.4 also needs to be covered. That, at least, should be a concession by the author and publisher. Otherwise, you will have a lot of upset customers on your hand if the book is published in its current form.
274912 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Same feeling here, I bought the book a long time ago and feel like I threw money away since I will prefer to read something about angular 2.0 when this book comes out.
335790 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I too have this opinion. Far too much has changed in even the 1.x branch let alone 2.0 since late 2013 when I purchased this MEAP. I held off saying this for a long time, but like a previous poster said I really don't feel in the wrong by making this comment. On the plus side I did learn a lot from the book early on and I discovered Lukas Ruebbelke's other great learning resources which pretty much got me where I wanted to be with the framework. But, we now all look forward to 2.0.
FitzChivalry2 (23) [Avatar] Offline
Any chance of an appendix or two being added to address the major breaking differences in AngularJS 2.0? I only recently bought this book after buying the Ionic in Action book, and am sure that many of the concepts will still apply, but would like to see the 2.0 issues addressed in something I paid for so recently.