The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

cfeckhardt (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,
I signed up for the early release last year, and have definitely been receiving updates as late as Nov. 2013, but I've never actually received the physical book. You know, the old fashioned PRINT technology is hard to beat and can be easier on the eyes. Has anyone heard if that will really happen?

Just checking.
Thanks
mhalver (35) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Has anyone heard if a physical book will ever be released?
Wondering about that myself. Purchased in Nov13, and the release date has been pushed at least three times since then, now showing August. I wouldn't have purchased an early release if I knew it was going to be nearly a year (or most likely a lot more - According to the catalog page this book has been in the works since 2009).
alcdotcom (10) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Has anyone heard if a physical book will ever be released?
I purchased the MEAP in July of 2011 and have since just moved on. I mean, it's not like I needed this book to learn Groovy. I taught myself long ago and have used it in several projects, but the point is that I've bought other MEAPs in the past and they've never taken anywhere near this long. The tech world has moved on quite a lot since my purchase and, frankly, I rarely touch Groovy or Grails anymore.
36513 (2) [Avatar] Offline
The book has been in development for FIVE YEARS and there has not been an update for ONE YEAR.

Manning should wrap this up or offer a refund to (at least) the purchasers of the paper edition.

This has made me a lot more cautious about purchasing about MEAPs
274612 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Q: What if I'm not happy with the MEAP?

Because MEAPs are books-in-progress, sometimes the manuscripts can be quite rough, or progress can be slow. We hope that you can remain patient while the book is shaped and polished, but if you are dissatisfied with a MEAP you have purchased, you may request a one-time exchange, or a refund, any time until the final chapter has been released.

Ref.
http://www.manning.com/about/meap.html#meapfaq
36513 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Oh, I was unaware of that policy (and I still bought MEAPS). Thank you smilie
freds (3) [Avatar] Offline
Does anybody know if this book will ever be released?
When I bought this book just a few days ago, I wasn't aware it has been in zombie mode for almost a year and a half.
Is this book still scheduled to be published?
Mittie (397) [Avatar] Offline
The chapters are now in production.

Cheers
Dierk
10799 (5) [Avatar] Offline
What does "chapters are now in production" mean? That it is about to be released (with no updates to the content in over a year) or that it is in exactly the same state it has been in?
There are quite a lot of changes.
We started with only production issues like getting all cross references right
But with about a 1000 pages, this took long enough that Groovy 2.4 was
meanwhile released and we covered those changes as well, e.g. Traits.

So you get those changes as well.

Hope that was in your interest.

Keep groovin'
Dierk
35228 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Dierk: How confident are you in the June 2015 release date?

Mittie wrote:There are quite a lot of changes.
We started with only production issues like getting all cross references right
But with about a 1000 pages, this took long enough that Groovy 2.4 was
meanwhile released and we covered those changes as well, e.g. Traits.

So you get those changes as well.

Hope that was in your interest.

Keep groovin'
Dierk
The production is going well as far as I can tell.
I personally would not be surprised if the effective release date was even earlier but the publisher has so much experience that they certainly know better how long copy-editing, typesetting, indexing, etc. takes for such an extensive title.
Even if they could produce a chapter per day (which I doubt), that would take four weeks!

It's always good to hear when someone eagerly waits for it - just like I do.

Thanks for posting
Dierk
1303 (1) [Avatar] Offline
@mittie @manning:

Is there a chance that we can see an interim or pre-release version of the book?
It would only be fair to the MEAP subscribers as the last MEAP release is from Nov 20,2013!
I would gladly accept the missing indices if the main body of the book is ok.

Christoph
Hi Christoph,

I have word from Manning that there will be a full, final MEAP version with all content sent to all MEAP subscribers. I hope you'll like that smilie
The exact date is beyond my control, though.

Keep groovin'
Dierk
bavobbr (2) [Avatar] Offline
I've been waiting since October 2010, actually getting the book will be quite the event smilie
7921 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Given the rapid changes in the technology landscape, I find it unacceptable to continue to work on a book of this nature for this long. I too would be apprehensive of getting a MEAP from Manning going forward. If I had known that it was going to take this long to complete a book on a programming language, I would have never signed up. Manning should refund everyone's money.
bavobbr wrote:I've been waiting since October 2010, actually getting the book will be quite the event smilie

You wouldn't believe how excited _we_ are! smilie
7921 wrote:Given the rapid changes in the technology landscape...

I feel that this would rather be an argument for an infinitely open MEAP. If there was such a thing, I would definitely subscribe to it - even at twice the price of a normal book (not half the price as MEAP readers pay today).

In the course of the book writing process, the MEAP readers got the updates from Groovy 1.8 through 2.4, where it is now closed.

cheers
Dierk