The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

BobFutrelle (9) [Avatar] Offline
[second attempt at this post]
I'm trying to find out how I could ask questions about OSGI.
Two issues for starters:

1. When I work through the tutorial at
http://bndtools.org/tutorial.html
it comes to a screaming halt almost immediately because it opens a Bndtools Eclipse perspective. Then the dialogs shown in the tutorial to create a configuration project ("recommended") and "Create in Eclipse Workspace"... and Configuration Template never appear.

2. The tutorial ends showing using a Felix Shell to run the Bndtools project.
But a user, such as me, should see a simple CLI command, typically a shell script, related in some way to something like eclipse.ini on my Mac:

-startup
../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20130327-1440.jar
.... etc.

I certainly don't need to use a Felix Shell to run Eclipse, plugins and all.

Of course I have the OSGI in Action book. I may have better luck with it.
But I'm not sure how anyone can use the online tutorial since the perspective now shows up, big time, interrupting the tutorial narrative.

- Bob
BobFutrelle (9) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Forum, resource, for first-time OSGI users?
I soon got an answer to my #2, concerns about running an OSGI system outside the Felix shell shown in the tutorial. Using the OiA book, in chapter 1, the final run is just on the command line, java -jar main.jar. I'm looking forward to the paint example. That should run in the same simple way, which will again answer my concerns.

The Mac app, Jarzilla, is helping me to dig into the material such as in chapter 1,

org.foo.hello.main

Next stop: work with the chapter example code using Eclipse, e.g., the paint code.

- Bob