The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

edvicif (10) [Avatar] Offline
Hi.

In chapter 1. At page 22. There is a map reduce example.
I think it would improve understandability if it states it is a code snippet only and also specify it is written in JAVA. For example ... before the class definition

When I was reading, it took a few second become comfortable with these facts. The code looked JAVA, but begin with a public static class declaration. It took a while until I've realised we talking about an inner class.

On page 24 there is an example code. I think the first part of the code is missing as numbering begin from 2.

At step 4 and 5. The Map.class and Reduce.class I believe refers to the previous static inner classes. I think I understand, that the code only tried to focus on the Map, Reduce behaviour, but it may improve readability if these context information provided. I think it comes down to taste in the end. smilie

I didn't understand, why the example use new Text(), when specifying the file, but Text.set(), when we specify the word. Probably it will be elaborated later, but a few thought may would be help full. The reason I ask, that it isn't 100% clear, that I can write the same solution, without members and using new Text() in the Map method, by extracting file information from the context parameter.
Alex Holmes (47) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Minor suggestion on Hadoop Practice second edition
Thanks for your feedback - I'll look at incorporating your suggestions.

Alex