The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

bradley.davis (18) [Avatar] Offline
The example code for the book is located on GitHub here:

https://github.com/OculusRiftInAction/OculusRiftInAction

Message was edited by:
bradley.davis
bdavis (3) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Example Code
Hi. I'm a noob to Oculus and VR in general. I am contemplating using Unity to get started however. I see that Unity Pro is required for following along in your book. But, the license for that is like $1500. Are you assuming that the reader already has a version of Unity Pro for use with this book?

Thanks for the clarfication.

Brian
Unity Pro is not required for the book. We have a single chapter on the use of Unity Pro for people who wish to take that route, or are already using Unity. But that's only a single chapter out of more than a dozen. Most of the examples use ordinary C++, and we also have a chapter to cover Java and Python usage.
Thanks Bradley for the quick response and for the clarification!

So, using the free version of Unity for that one chapter won't work I guess?

Brian

Message was edited by:
bdavis
Unfortunately not. The distortion for the Oculus Rift requires rendering the scene to an offscreen framebuffer (essentially painting the scene on a texture rather than on the screen). Once each eye view has been rendered to a texture or textures, it is passed into the SDK for distortion.

The free version of Unity doesn't support offscreen rendering, so it's missing a critical component required for using the Rift.
Ok, thanks again Bradley! Even though that's the case, I'm still considering purchasing your book. Thanks for the hard work to work through the details so others can have a roadmap. Best of luck to you on the book!

Brian