The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

raoul-gabriel.urma (37) [Avatar] Offline
Hi guys,

Thank you all of you for your feedback and encouragements. We need your feedback on the new chapter 8 "Default methods". Does section 8.3 "Useful default methods to compose lambda expressions" have its place in the chapter or would you rather see it come earlier in chapter 3 [or somewhere else]?

Cheers,
Raoul
cemsultan (19) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Feedback needed on chapter 8
Hi Raoul,

I have just now read section 8.3 in chapter 8 for you and my thoughts are as follows:

Learning the new concepts in Java 8 can be somewhat a challenging task especially for software engineers without much maths background. The approach that you have taken thus so far is an incremental approach, which is good. I think cramping in too much information at the beginning chapters is not so wise. Therefore, keeping section 8.3 in chapter 8 (which is a chapter dedicated to default methods) seems to be the better option. Having said that, Yagiz suggested that it could be worthwhile pointing out that all of those three generic functional interfaces (Predicate<T>, Consumer<T> and Function<T, R>smilie have default methods. Hence, having in chapter 3 just one or two sentences explaining these functional interfaces have default methods and what can be achieved should suffice.

Thanks
murraytodd (4) [Avatar] Offline
I found section 8.3 completely jarring and distracting. My brain was in gear to learn about default methods and how to write and use them, and then all of a sudden we were back in functional programming and chaining things.

I don't think that section belongs in chapter 8, unless you put it at the very end. And even then, it still feels like if anywhere it would be more thematically appropriate to have it back in chapter 3.
undjask (13) [Avatar] Offline
I finished reading chapter 8. Sec. 8.3, didn't distract me at all, actually it was quite nice reading about a sensible combination between lambdas and default-methods.

But there is one thing that bothers me. I think ch. 8 is rather short. I mean, is that all that one can say about default methods? Are they really that boring? I also miss ideas regarding the usage of default methods in contexts like design patterns or some other fancy stuff.
raoul-gabriel.urma (37) [Avatar] Offline
I've moved it from chapter 8 to chapter 3 towards the end. Let me know if the flow still works [and whether it's not putting too much burden on chapter 3]

It's available in the new Meap update sent today.

Raoul