The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

yagiz (27) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

In 3.4 Functional Interfaces 3 generic functional interfaces are explained: Predicate<T>, Consumer<T> and Function<T, R>.

- Just because an earlier section mentioned "default interfaces" while defining what is a functional interface, it could be worthwhile pointing out that all of those three generic functional interfaces have default methods.

- One of the principles (or corner stones) of FP is using pure functions. Pure functions don't have any side effects. So from that point of view "side effect" is to be avoided. Maybe this should be mentioned in the section 3.4.2 outlining "Consumer<T>".

- (3.5.2) One of the functional interfaces mentioned in the section called "Special void-compatibility rule" is Block<T>. Unless I'm missing something, this is an old interface that used to be in the early versions of Lambda API that is not part of the current version of Java 8 API.

I've really enjoyed the book so far. Keep up the good work.
Thank you.

Edited to add the 3rd remark.

Message was edited by:
yagiz
raoul-gabriel.urma (37) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Functional Interfaces
Hi yagiz,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding 1) see my new post here: http://www.manning-sandbox.com/thread.jspa?threadID=65083&tstart=0 I'm wondering whether to include that content in chapter 3 directly.

2) good point

3) fixed for next meap update smilie

Thanks,
Raoul