The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

piapp (1) [Avatar] Offline
I use a Kindle and the MOBI format supplied by Manning Publication (I am a foreign reader).
For now, I have two points: one on the content and one on the style.

On the style: code snippets are "images" (screenshot extracts) and are unreadable in the MOBI format on Kindle (even when you zoom on them).
Even in the PC version on a 24" monitor, it remains difficult.
This affects the comfort of reading and therefore understanding (I see this point in others messages and I confirm it).

On the content: (section 3.6), I think the substitution of a reference method by a lambda expression would deserve a complementary explanation.
In the example, it's not clear (for me) how the lambda expression with two parameters and a boolean return became a method reference with one parameter and a boolean return.
How the compiler understands that one of the two parameters of the lambda expression became the origin of the comparison? (sorry, if this question misses of clarity).
Otherwise, I find this is a remarkable book compared to what I had already read about.
It's a very clear and pedagogical guide which allows to understand key Java 8 concepts and the declarative programming. It will change my approach of the programming.
Thank you very much..
susan.conant (20) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MOBI format and methods references
Hello - I am the editor for Java 8 in Action. I will be emailing you today, so I can get more details on the issues you are having.

We did use "images" for an earlier version of the Mobi format, but have since updated it to "text" for code listings, so that should fix your issue.

Respond to my email, and we will get you a format that works.

Thanks,
Susan Conant