The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

undjask (13) [Avatar] Offline
Are you guys following some kind of roadmap? And if so, are you willing to share some basic points like expected chapter release dates and so on? I don't want to put pressure on anyone, it's just nice to have an overview, even if it's just a rough one. smilie
raoul-gabriel.urma (37) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Roadmap?
Hi,

Thanks for the question! It must mean you are looking forward to read more stuff smilie

The rough plan is as follows (things are accelerating!):
- by next week the chapter on default methods will be out
- around mid Feb the chapter on parallel streams & performance will be out
- end of Feb we expect to have the chapter on functional programming out and the first five chapters revised
- in March we expect the chapters on Scala and Optional (better alternative to null) to be out
- in April the chapter on composable async programming with CompleteableFuture and the Appendices

The goal is to go to production in May and have the physical book available sometime in June!

Also the book will change title in the next few days, stay tuned smilie

Thanks,
Raoul
yagiz (27) [Avatar] Offline
+1 for the book title change. "Java 8 Lambdas" gives the impression of a constricted/focused context compared to what the book actually is. Something like "Functional and Effective Programming in Java 8" would have been more appropriate in my opinion.
The new title we decided on is "Java 8 in Action: Lambdas, Streams and Functional-style programming". The meap page should reflect that in the next few days.

I hope you like it because it was *very* hard decision to get there... smilie

R
yagiz (27) [Avatar] Offline
Yes, it certainly sounds better than what I humbly suggested above smilie.

I can imagine it was a very hard decision. About naming things, this reminds me of the quote:
"There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation and naming things." smilie
Thanks! and off-by-one errors of course smilie