The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

yagiz (27) [Avatar] Offline
> programmers are increasingly dealing with big data (terabytes and up)...
> (page 4)

This is one of my pet peeves so please forgive me (and let me know) if I'm nitpicking:

The definition of "Big Data" is not "terabytes and up". Big Data is such an overused term that, in my opinion, it does more harm than good to use it this way. It reads like it is added just for the sake of using the hot-marketing-term du jour. IMHO something like "very large volumes of data" would do. Or if you want to absolutely use "Big Data" then don't explain it with "terabytes and up" and assume that the reader knows what it is.

For the record, Gartner's definition is: "Big data is high volume, high velocity, and/or high variety information assets that require new forms of processing to enable enhanced decision making, insight discovery and process optimization." And sometimes "Veracity" is added to those 3 Vs.
raoul-gabriel.urma (37) [Avatar] Offline
Re: ...big data (terabytes and up)
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't think you are nitpicking -- you are completely right and we'll change that to "large volumes of data" smilie!

Thanks
Raoul