BobCochran (92) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, I just bought your MEAP and have been reading through it quickly. I wish the section on installing GIT could be beefed up a little. There is no discussion at all of installing Git from source code builds. For example, could you discuss the advantages of doing profile builds. I think also it is worthwhile to discuss building git for installation to a user's home directory only. This could become material for an appendice.

Sincerely,

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
Mike McQuaid (83) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Installation of Git
This is actually being moved to an appendix as it was felt that installing Git would vary too much between platforms over time for it to be worth spending as much time talking about this. Git is no harder to install than most software software engineers use and it seems most people interested in the book have it installed already.

Thanks for the comments, though.
BobCochran (92) [Avatar] Offline
Well, I wonder if "...most people interested in the book have it installed already." In my experience, most Tier 1 programmers do not know version control software beyond the Endevor product (from Computer Associates) and components like "ClearCase", "CVS", and "Git" are pretty much as meaningful as moonscape to them. I know our new hires, fresh out of college, had no concept of ClearCase, CVS, or Git. I did meet one person recently who knows how to fork a repository from GitHub, change elements, and then do a pull request. Cool! What a gem. She has an extremely rare and hard to find skillset, indeed.
Mike McQuaid (83) [Avatar] Offline
Sure. In this case though it's "programmers who are reading through a Git book". Between the installation appendix and any previous installations I'd be very surprised if they won't be able to get this running. Regardless, I think talking to them about building from source would increase rather than reduce confusion.