Paul3643 (2) [Avatar] Offline
We are interested in purchasing the "Single Page Web Applications JavaScript end-to-end" book to study it as a group at our work. We do have varied backgrounds however and not all of us feel comfortable jumping head first into this book. In the book's introduction it states "If youÂ’ve never even dabbled in web development, this book is not for you." What book or online resource would you most recommend to study that would prepare one best to take advantage of the information in "Single Page Web Applications JavaScript end-to-end"?
seasoup (37) [Avatar] Offline
Re: What is the best resource to read before "Single Page Web Applications"?
That really depends on what it is you need to brush up on. Can you tell us more about your programming backgrounds?
michael.mikowski (247) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Paul:

Can you clarify what the capabilities of your group are? I can envision 3 scenarios and recommended paths:

1. All members of your group are experienced developers, and most have web development experience. I would recommend you jump right in and keep CSS and JavaScript reference materials at hand for those who need them. I'd expect your team members could help each other. M[ozilla]DN and W3C are good online references.

2. All members of your group are developers, but most do not have web development experience. I'd recommend training on individual aspects of web development might be appropriate first, starting with HTML, then CSS, JavaScript, and then the SPA book to tie it all together as in (1). I don't have recommendations for the HTML/CSS/JavaScript resources right now.

3. A substantial number of your group have never developed before. I would train these people in a simpler language first, then proceed to HTML/CSS/JS training and the SPA book as in (2). I don't recommend any web languages as first languages, as the complexities of network responses overshadow the actual coding exercises.

Please let me know what scenario might fit for you, and I might be able to share a few additional bits of advice. I'll give some thought as the best HTML/CSS/JS training resources too.

Sincerely, Mike
seasoup (37) [Avatar] Offline
See Mike, this is why we get along well enough to write a book together. We're on the same page so often smilie
Paul3643 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you for getting back to me Mike.

We are a group of very experienced developers. Most of our work is done in C++, but we anticipate web application work in the near future. Some of us have some web development experience, some of us have none or very little and some in between. None of us are full time web developers.

There are a multitude of resources available out there and I am looking for some ideas of which ones would be most helpful in getting the most out of your book.

Paul
michael.mikowski (247) [Avatar] Offline
So ... scenario 2 then smilie Coming from C++, the biggest differences you will probably find are the event model and the object models. In C++ you might elect to do event-based development; in JavaScript you have no choice smilie And of course, objects in JS are prototype based, not class based.

Josh, do you have a recommendation for HTML5/CSS3/JS primer?