jcharlesworth (5) [Avatar] Offline
I have Tower, SourceTree, and GitBox and am still searching for a great practical reference on how to use these visual tools for most of the day-to-day Git operations. Especially since I would like to get some non-technical clients using Git for their workflow.

Any plans for this??
Mike McQuaid (83) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Any coverage planned on Visual front-end tools for Git??
There's no plan on using these I'm afraid. This book will teach you the underlying concepts using Git that means you should be able to work out how to use these tools.

I'm assuming the target market for this is broadly "software engineers who have used version control before" so this probably won't suit your non-technical clients.

I'd personally recommend the native GitHub clients (GitHub for Mac, GitHub for Windows) for these workflows.
two_socks (1) [Avatar] Offline
It's a pity.
Neither an appendix?
No appendix is planned either. There are unfortunately too many differing Git tools for me to sensibly pick one (or to be able to usefully generalise). Additionally, I don't use any personally so you wouldn't be getting an expert look at these tools.
BobCochran (92) [Avatar] Offline
It is interesting that you start the book out by showing it being put under version control in a Git repository. I know several people who would benefit from this type of version control: I even encouraged one to write her book under Git version control, but the person was too fearful of the command line interface to use it, and didn't really see the point of it. Not at that time.

I'm not certain how good document comparison tools are in "Officeware" products such as LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice. I would imagine the extremely fine-grained version control offered by Git is very useful to writers of all types of works.

Perhaps you could give thought to a companion book made just for writers/content providers of various kinds.

Sincerely

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
I've actually changed Chapter 1 to move the content into Chapter 2, 3 or the appendix as the book is meant to be targeted at software engineers with version control experience so the first chapter was a bit too basic. Some of the real basics will remain in the appendix.

I think a companion book would be interesting but, as a software engineer, I'm probably not the one to write it. I find it quite painful to try and explain all these things completely from first principles.

Thanks for your comments, though.
Dan Maharry (13) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Bob,

Oddly enough we did consider a "git for non-programmers git for use outside of coding" but eventually we decided against it. Code text files are the same thing and if you're technical enough to know about and decide to use git for version control, you should be able to follow a "Git for Beginners" book aimed at coders rather than the general application of git.

Cheers, Dan
I'd agree with Dan here.