The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

beanat50 (3) [Avatar] Offline
In doing my latest class project, I went to research some of the available UGens, first by looking in the book, then in the ChucK references. I found many of the UGen parameters inadequately described, leaving me wondering how to best implement them, without having to take time I don't currently have to do experimentation. I think an appendix chapter on UGens would be a great assistance. As an example, looking at Clarinet - we have .startBlowing and .stopBlowing, both with parameters, but we also have .noteOn and .noteOff also with parameters described as "velocity". In the book, you describe that .startBlowing is the same as .noteOn (and I assume that is the same for .startBowing, .startSinging, etc. But that description is buried in the text on Clarinets, and if you were interested in another instrument, you might not know where that reference is. I can't find a description of .rate - it sounds suspiciously like attack time, which I think is the parameter passed in .noteOn, so what is the difference, and would this be used as a "poor man's adsr - implementing the a in adsr, for example to avoid pops from rapid volume changes? How about the .controlChange function - it appears that it is superseded by the better named parameters (such as .vibratoFreq(x) duplicates .controlChange(11, x). There are many examples like this, where the basic references provide little explanation past the listing of what is available, and the explanations that the book does provide are scattered throughout the text making them difficult to reference. So a short appendix chapter where you could centralize a short description of purpose, and perhaps effect of varying parameter values would be very helpful. Where you provide that information in the text body, the information is in context and very valuable, just difficult to locate. Since most parameters are shared amongst similar UGens, this could be done by UGEN group very effectively.
danbernier (22) [Avatar] Offline
Re: UGens
I wonder whether the documentation is generated from the C++ code?

Parts might still be poorly documented, but at least it would be accurate...
raino (3) [Avatar] Offline
totally agree with beanat50. One of the most valuable things the book can do is fill in the serious gaps that exist in the ChucK documentation. A decent reference appendix would be invaluable.
perry.cook (29) [Avatar] Offline
We have generated a complete UGen reference as an
appendix to the book. We're still negotiating with the
editors about whether it's too many pages, but I agree
with you all that having this reference would be good.

We've also talked seriously about updating the online
UGen references to be more correct, example-linked,
and generally modernized.

Thanks