The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Makovec (72) [Avatar] Offline
Hello James,
I read thru first chapter and have some general questions.

1) Reading TOC I don't see Software Updates. As I see connectivity to Endpoint (which is there), I'd like to know if you plan to add Software Updates to the book. Based on my practice, I think it will help to lot of people.
2) Do you plan to describe different ConfigMgr roles somewhere? Just for reference. Even a link to something like this: http://eskonr.com/2012/01/configmgrsccm-2012-site-system-roles/ can help.
3) Summary for log files - I like the way you are introducing different log files. Do you plan to do some summary at the end of book (should be good for general reference).

The concrete questions I have to different chapters will send as new topic later. Looking forward for next chapters.

David "Makovec" Moravec
TechInput (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: General questions
Talking about those "next chapters" is there some timeline regarding releases of following chapters?
James Bannan (21) [Avatar] Offline
Hi David,

Yes, there is a plan to include Software Updates as a complete chapter. It will be positioned at some point after Operating System Deployment.

Explaining the different roles as a summary is a good idea - I will look at including that as an appendix, otherwise it starts crossing a bit too much into architecture, which I'm not really covering in this book.

Again, good idea with the log files - this was raised in an editorial meeting. I will include a reference as an appendix.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

James
Working on it as fast as we can smilie
neftalyr (1) [Avatar] Offline
Just wanted to say I'm very pleased with this book and it has been very helpful and totally practical. I know the info is out there buried in Technet but it's great to have the structure and practicality of the lunches series. I wish the book whole book was available now as I'm in the middle of a SCCM implementation, but I appreciate the early access to the available chapters. You guys are great and are indeed helping the sysadmin. More luches series please smilie I'll buy them all!
TechInput (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi James, when can we expect the next update?
Hi - you can expect it imminently. There are a few small updates I have to make to some of the early chapters and then the MEAP will be updated with a load more content, including lots on OSD. I'm going to have those updates done within the next one or two days.

Thank you for your patience with this.