The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Bitfat66 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
enjoying the book so far. I have noticed there is no chapter on migration from 2007. Is there an intention to at least cover some of the details
James Bannan (21) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Migration
Hi - thanks for the feedback. There was a discussion around including a chapter on migrating from SCCM 2007, but as this book is pitched much more to administrators than architects, it was considered unnecessary.

Given that migration is not really a day-to-day task in SCCM, do you think a chapter on migration is required?
Bitfat66 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Valid Point. Whilst I agree that the migration task is not really a day to day administrators task the timing of your book is unfortunate in that its release is just around the time that people are looking to migrate. I am doing a migration for a large energy company at the moment and the style of your book (much more user friendly than technet) would be very helpful to them.

As an added extra can you add a footnote to the password information for your labs that the keyboard is US layout (location of @ is different). Many times before I have been caught out with that one smilie
James Bannan (21) [Avatar] Offline
That is the dilemma of course - new version of SCCM means that people will be performing upgrades. The downside is that it opens a can of worms - discussing migration means that you have to get a lot deeper into previous versions of SCCM as well a load of architectural considerations. Of course it's very necessary content, but would take up a large chunk of the book and would change the nature of the book completely.

In another life I would have tackled the migration piece too smilie

Thanks - good point about the US keyboard layout. We use it in Australia so it's an easy thing to forget that not everyone else in the world does smilie
MarcVDH (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,
About the default keyboard language, can't you add a little note explaining how to change it ?

It's easy, go to the rules of the MEDIA001 and add : KeyboardLocale=080C:0000080C (example for the Belgian keyboard)

All the machine will be built with the wished keyboard.

Hope this help.

Marc.