The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Morantex (2) [Avatar] Offline
I was looking forward to really working with this book, its pretty well written and I like the style.

However the sections that deal with MVVM rely upon the reader using MVVM Light and I think that's wrong - relying upon a third party open source project.

I'm using Windows 8.1 with Visual Studio 2013 - I'm just starting to get to grips with MVVM and striving to create an app in which the XAML drive the user interface with an absolute minimum of code in the page's code files.

The MVVM Light does not work with Visual Studio 2013 and so I simply cannot use it and cannot learn from the book because the book assumes I can.

It really isn't good to be put in this situation where a book purporting to teach something becomes useless for learning a critical aspect of what one needs to learn.

A sample MVVM project that does NOT rely on third party packages and shows how to structure and organize a project for MVVM is what should have been included.

If I could download a simple three page working MVVM sample that complies with the guidelines for MVVM I'd be happy.

This is extremely disappointing.