The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

raino (3) [Avatar] Offline
The code examples are pretty difficult to read, at least in the PDF version. Primarily this is because of low contrast between the text and the background. The green and orange text is especially bad, but none of it is good. I understand that these are the colors that are actually used in ChucK, but perhaps a bit of editorial license is needed to enhance clarity. I'm not a visual designer, so I don't know exactly how to optimize the readability. But perhaps tweaking the colors a bit might help, or increasing the font size and using bold text,
pschindler (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Code examples are visually difficult to read in PDF
I second that and add that this is even more so in the .mobi version.
perry.cook (29) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks all for this feedback. Can you tell us which reader
you're using (iPad, Kindle, web browser on a computer,
Adobe, whatever)??

That will help us figure this out. We certainly don't want to
render things in a way that's hard to read, but we do want to
get people used to the syntax colorization that miniAudicle
does.

PRC
drnealaggarwal (6) [Avatar] Offline
Perry

I've tried it in Preview on Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard and in the default viewer (I think it's Evince) on Ubuntu 13.04. Same in all cases. The code listings look like low res screen captures that have been pasted into the pdf file.
perry.cook (29) [Avatar] Offline
Oh, got it. There are only a few of those, and we'll be swapping
those out. How do you feel about the regular text examples?
You can tell these because they're colorized as the miniAudicle
would do them, but they will also have #1 #A annotation markings
along the right side.

Thanks,

PRC
drnealaggarwal (6) [Avatar] Offline
The regular text examples are crisp and easy to read and the coloring just as in miniAudicle works well. The annotations are also fine and easy to follow.
timj (3) [Avatar] Offline
I, too, have no problem reading the code examples. However, the quality of the graphics could be a lot better. Especially the flow-charts. The images would be better as vector images or high resolution bitmaps not low resolution bitmaps. Also, some of the fonts used do not kern well - see the diagram on page 33 for an example.
SoundGoddess (2) [Avatar] Offline
I can also confirm that the image on page 36 (numbered as page 32) looks weird in my reader SumatraPDF on Windows 7.