mavnewbie (7) [Avatar] Offline
I first built sip-top, then I built recipe2.1. the error I get is that it cannot find the parent pom.
Can any please point out what it is complaining about?
Error is attached below:

Apache Maven 3.1.0 (893ca28a1da9d5f51ac03827af98bb730128f9f2; 2013-06-28 12:15:32+1000)
Maven home: CsmilieROGRA~1Maven-3.1.0in..
Java version: 1.7.0_25, vendor: Oracle Corporation
Java home: Csmilierogra~1Javajdk1.7.0_25jre
Default locale: en_AU, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"
[INFO] Error stacktraces are turned on.
[DEBUG] Reading global settings from CsmilieROGRA~1Maven-3.1.0in..confsettings.xml
[DEBUG] Reading user settings from C:UsersKathie.m2settings.xml
[DEBUG] Using local repository at C:UsersKathie.m2 epository
[DEBUG] Using manager EnhancedLocalRepositoryManager with priority 10.0 for C:UsersKathie.m2 epository
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[DEBUG] Using connector WagonRepositoryConnector with priority 0.0 for http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2
Downloading: http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/springinpractice/com.springinpractice.top/1.0-RELEASE/com.springinpractice.top-1.0-RELEASE.pom

[DEBUG] Writing tracking file C:UsersKathie.m2 epositorycomspringinpracticecom.springinpractice.top1.0-RELEASEcom.springinpractice.top-1.0-RELEASE.pom.lastUpdated
[ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:
[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact com.springinpractice:com.springinpractice.top:pom:1.0-RELEASE in central (http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 22, column 10
MikB (202) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
If this is Eclipse it's could be related to lack of support for hierarchical Maven projects. I solved this by putting the parent project at the same level as the children ones and then repointing the POMs accordingly.

A silly limitation, but a real one.
Hi MikB, the file structure I have currently is as the way the samples are unzipped of the download. ie. user.home/sip-code/sip-code/ ..where sip-top or chapter recipes eg. sip02 recipe-2.1 are located (they are at the same level, aren't they?)
How do you repoint the pom as you suggested?

1) I cd to the dir where the pom.xml for sip-top is and build this first, which writes a file for the pom in the /.m2/repository

2) then I try to build the recipe-2.1 at the location of this recipe's pom -- this returns error regarding not finding the parent pom. I can see
"[DEBUG] Writing tracking file C:UsersKathie.m2 epositorycomspringinpracticecom.springinpractice.top1.0-RELEASEcom.springinpractice.top-1.0-RELEASE.pom.lastUpdated"

isn't this the file that it can't find? Doesn't it go to the local repository for this?
What I suggested is relevant for Eclipse, not for building from the command line with maven.
willie.wheeler (110) [Avatar] Offline
For the command line, be sure to run

mvn install

on the parent pom.
willie.wheeler (110) [Avatar] Offline
(Running "mvn install" causes the project and its subprojects to go into the local repo, where other projects (like the chapter-specific projects) can see it.)
Yes, of course doing this certainly resolved the problem. Many thanks. I also realized that you did mention about doing this as part of your online guide.
Yes, thanks for the prompt answer.
manoj7shekhawat (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you soo much. I got stuck and resolved it with your suggestion. Thanks again!!
Pranav25 (2) [Avatar] Offline
hi I am also facing this issue in eclipse

Can somebody explain below. This is what i found in forums
If this is Eclipse it's could be related to lack of support for hierarchical Maven projects. I solved this by putting the parent project at the same level as the children ones and then repointing the POMs accordingly.
You tried all of the above including "mvn install" and you still have issues?