The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Ognian (5) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
I started reading your book yesterday and I like your "problem":"solution" oriented approach. Beeing in the middle of a node.js project I would like to know what do you think about async frameworks like async js. Which one would you use?
Thanks
Ognian
wavded (13) [Avatar] Offline
Re: async frameworks
Ognian,

Great question. My opinion is that its easy to mess up even simple async patterns when done manually (like parallel execution). Popular async frameworks provide some good battle tested algorithms for implementing common patterns. "async" in particular is one of the best and maintains a callback approach common to Node core.

Another approach is using Promises which IMO are even more powerful (esp when it comes to error handling within async operations) but are more complex to wrap your head around initially: https://medium.com/p/22164f4d89e8

Hope that helps!
Marc
Ognian (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: async frameworks
Hello Marc,
thanks a lot, I started with Q and at the beginning it was a little bit hard, but now I'm able to write much better "business logic" with Q promises on node and the native mongo driver and al of this fits nicely together...
Ognian