The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

senz (14) [Avatar] Offline
Page 50 - Technology mapping - "But you can also use Ajax technol­ogy, which lets you push content to the client." This is plain wrong, AJAX is just a request/response pattern, yes it is handled async on JS side (still single-threaded, though), but servers and clients resource is kept until reply is done. You should menting Comet/bosh and websocket here, they are both enabling async message handling.
arnonrgo (62) [Avatar] Offline
Re: ajax misconception
You are right - the wording is wrong. With Ajax you can still get updates but you'd have to pull for them and it will not push them like websockets. I'll add a revised sentence to the errata.
Thanks for pointing it out

Arnon
arnonrgo (62) [Avatar] Offline
Here's the replacement sentence that should be up in the errata soon
"When using web technologies you could use WebSockets instead of messaging, or even resort to pulling using Ajax to simulate the effect."

Arnon
senz (14) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for hearing me. This is better. But I still think you should briefly mention Comet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)) because it is really what was simulating push before WS came.