The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

nharward (1) [Avatar] Offline
Refs, agents and atoms differ from promises in another significant way I think should be mentioned in 6.10.2: they are one-and-done and subsequent calls to (deliver) will have no effect. At least that's according to (doc deliver). It's also not clear if multiple threads can deref a promise simultaneously, my assumption is that this is OK.

As an aside I'm really enjoying this book and in particular the MEAP and this feedback forum - that's actually what kept me from buying a different title as this wasn't officially released yet. I had a script (~80 LoC) written in Python in a functional style and was trying to think of any way to reduce the line count and/or make it cleaner. I was happy and thought it was as minimal as could be but re-writing in Clojure, even as a LISP-family n00b up to only Chapter 3, proved me wrong and cut the LoC to just 45.
amitrathore (132) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Suggestion for Section 6: Software STM
You're right - thanks for the input! Glad you're enjoying the book - apologies for the late response!