The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

rgvickery (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Carl and Paula

Following your session at the Manchester CAS hub in July, I have been working through chapters 1,2,3 and 5 of your App Inventor guide. It is very clear and I like the way you work through various example apps to illustrate different techniques. I think if a student is familiar with Scratch (also from MIT) then it should be a reasonable easy transition. I am more used to Java and Python but I found it straightforward to follow and I have produced all the apps which now run on my phone!

I have had a few problems installing the apps to my phone and I gather this can be temperamental. I have found the best way is to download the app from the Block Editor and then switch back to the editor (while the app is still running on my phone) and click on Package for Phone and then Download to Phone.

I wonder if you have had any problems and if so whether this method is best?

I look forward to the rest of the book.

Best wishes

Richard Vickery

PS Now that I am no longer working full-time I have had time to spend on various programming languages
carl.simmons (13) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Installing apps to a mobile phone
Hi Richard
Great to hear that you like the book so far - that transition between Scratch and App Inventor is exactly what we feel is the strength of the platform.

We haven't had too many problem packaging up the apps - if you do have issues, generally it's a good idea to package the app for your computer and then just copy the .APK file from your PC to your phone. That way you also have a backup APK on your PC.

To install the APK you can just use a file browser on your phone and click the .apk file to install.

Carl
PedroPS (12) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Richard,

That's precisely my experience downloading applications to the mobile.

I don't know if there is another way of direct downloading, but the book doesn't tell much:

- Is it necessary to have the applicaction running from the Block Editor for download-and-installing process, or it could be done directly from the App Editor without passing-through B.E.?
- In case of direct mobile downloading without automtatic install process: Where should we expect to find the APK file inside the mobile file system?

I think the book should extend on this topic.

Regards.
Pedro
carl.simmons (13) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Pedro

- Is it necessary to have the applicaction running from the Block Editor for download-and-installing process, or it could be done directly from the App Editor without passing-through B.E.?

To download to phone - you must have BE open. Downloading to computer *usually* works even if BE is not open - but it can save you headaches just to open BE anyway.

- In case of direct mobile downloading without automtatic install process: Where should we expect to find the APK file inside the mobile file system?
It will be wherever you saved it to when you transferred the file from your PC to your phone (I usually put it on the SD card in the DOWNLOADS folder)

Best
Carl