The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

m.dr (70) [Avatar] Offline
As I started on the book and setup Giter8 noticed it installed SBT 0.12.

Is there a way to allow setup of latest version of SBT - 0.13?
Or I can set up SBT 0.13 and will Giter8 use that instead of 0.12?

Also SBT is pulling down Scala 2.9 and 2.10 libraries. Why does it need 2.9? Is there a way to avoid using 2.9 altogether?

I have Scala 2.10 installed on my Ubuntu box and is there any way to use that installation directly rather than pull down its own?

I ask as I feel that I should have control of the environments being used. that was the reason I started with Scalatra, to be minimal and in control of my environment.

Hope this is a relevant question. Maybe I need to learn SBT more or ask the question on Giter8?

Thanks again for your help and much for the book.
rossabaker (9) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Using Giter8 / SBT
The Scala 2.9 dependencies are a result of sbt-0.12 being built on Scala 2.9.2. sbt needs to pull a Scala to bootstrap itself, and then 2.10 is pulled to power your app.

The g8 template specifies which version of sbt is used. That is set in project/build.properties of the materialized project, and can be changed. However, the scalatra-sbt plugin specified by the project is not yet published for sbt-0.13. I've opened issues so we can get that addressed, and upgrade the g8 template's default.

https://github.com/scalatra/scalatra-sbt.g8/issues/30
https://github.com/scalatra/scalatra-sbt/issues/4

In the meantime, the sbt-0.12 from the project will let you use Scala 2.10, and require only minimal changes to upgrade your project to sbt-0.13.

Thanks!
rossabaker (9) [Avatar] Offline
Upgrades are complete. New projects will be generated with sbt-0.13 as the default.

To upgrade your existing app, in project/build.properties:
sbt.version=0.13.0

And in project/plugins.sbt:
addSbtPlugin("org.scalatra.sbt" % "scalatra-sbt" % "0.3.2")
m.dr (70) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks Ross. WIll look forward to trying them out shortly. Will update on results.