johnnyslick (1) [Avatar] Offline
Kind of a big deal... the Twitter API appears to no longer support atom or XML or for that matter anything but JSON. I am semi-familiar with JSON but not nearly enough to be able to integrate it into Silverlight, which I am pretty much unfamiliar with. Any advice on how to re-write the "Hello World" demo?
RobertN (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Twitter API no longer works with Chapter 1
Took me a while to figure out this was the problem. Any fixes to 'Hello World'? Replace Twitter with another site?
RobertN (2) [Avatar] Offline
I just tried replacing the search.twitter.com with www.googleapis.com/customsearch, which is a searchable database returning Atom-based XML (& JSON), but I'm getting the same error. I can get good Atom when I execute the query directly in the browser, so I'm not sure what the issue is now. Kinda sucks when 'hello world' (and the rest of Chpt 1 that depends on it) doesn't work, eh?
zingfodd (1) [Avatar] Offline
I am using Visual Studio 2012. The line that passes the webclient result to debug.writeline was causing a SecurityException when I tried to run the first bit of the chapter 1 code. At first I tried creating a clientaccesspolicy.xml file in the IIS root. No help.

I discovered that if I checked the option in the Silverlight application properties to "Require elevated trust when running in-browser", the exception went away.

Just wanted to mention it in case anyone else has been banging their head on a wall for 4 hours.

I changed the url to https://developers.google.com/search/results?q=api due to the suggestions above. And I am getting stuff populating in the webclient.result now. Thanks for that.