The Art of Unit Testing, Second Edition: with examples in C# cover
welcome to this free extract from
an online version of the Manning book.
to read more
or

About this Book

One of the smartest things I ever heard anyone say about learning (and I forget who it was), is that to truly learn something, teach it. Writing the first edition of this book. and publishing it in 2009, was nothing short of a true learning experience for me. I initially wrote the book because I got tired of answering the same questions over and over again. But there were other reasons too. I wanted to try something new; I wanted to try an experiment; I wondered what I could learn from writing a book—any book. Unit testing was what I was good at. I thought. The curse is that the more experience you have, the more stupid you feel.

There are parts of the first edition that today I do not agree with—for example, that a unit refers to a method. That’s not true at all. A unit is a unit of work, as I discuss in chapter 1 of this second edition. It can be as small as a method, or as big as several classes (possibly assemblies) ... and there are other things as well that have changed, as you will learn below.

What’s new in the second edition

In this second edition, I added material about constrained versus unconstrained isolation frameworks, and a new chapter 6 on what makes for a good isolation framework and how frameworks like Typemock work under the covers.

Who should read this book

Roadmap

Code conventions and downloads

Software requirements

Author Online

Other projects by Roy Osherove

sitemap