jeiden (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hey guys,

I have been trying to navigate through the code examples thus far in Third Party JS, and have reached chapter 3. I am noticing that the "Listing" code examples do not seem to build on each other, but rather stand alone. Ideally, I would like to use this book to create a demo widget, than customize it to my specific needs. Is that the intention?

For example, I created the widget.js main script body covered in Listing 2.2. This included defining the loadSupportingFiles, getWidgetParams, getRatingData, and drawWidget function stubs.

However, after this, I was expecting to see how the next examples helped us build out these function stubs. There hasn't been explicit references to the original main script body since Chapter 2. I have been using my best judgment thus far, but am confused with the proper way to implement the examples in Chapter 3, "Rendering HTML and CSS.."

My question is: Is the book meant to be followed this way? Or is it more of a generic overview of different techniques that you then must put into practice? To me, it seems more like the latter especially as some of the references to images (i.e. http://camerastork.com/img/1337-small.jpg) to not point to real URLs where content is hosted.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Recommended way to follow along with this book
Hey Jeff,

I realize this reply is coming super late (I wasn't getting email notifications for replies on this forum), but I thought I'd answer anyways.

The code examples do not 1:1 follow the examples in the book. They're more stand-alone examples that cover the concepts demonstrated in a given chapter. The Camera Stork example is used repeatedly, but it is usually used in an isolated sample.

I think you're right in that it is "more of a generic" overview. This is because there is no real "prototypcal" widget. They can be built in so many different ways, and we wanted to demonstrate as many features/problems/techniques of third-party scripts as we could.

Hope this answers your question. Again, apologies for the lateness.

- Ben