The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

PedroPS (12) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

Your idea of writing a book on Android app development for absolute beginers is a great idea.

I am interested in teaching this topic to teenagers and I'd like to assess the "App Inventor" environmant".

From the first chapter available I cannot see a way to download and install the "Inventor". Could you please explain me how to do that?

Congratulations!

Pedro Pastor
jswager (3) [Avatar] Offline
Re: App Inventor download
Hello Pedro,
Its web based and all you need is a Gmail account I do believe.
Here is the link for you http://appinventor.mit.edu/.
Thank you very much.

Pedro
paula.beer (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hello Pedro

So glad that you like the book. We would be very interested to know what the teenagers think of the material.

Josep is right in saying that the set up materials are available on the web and the link that Josep provided will introduce you to lots of helpful reference material (thanks for that Josep!). The setup page is:

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/node/165.html

As the program is still in beta the set up can change from time to time which is why at this point we have not included it in the book. However, given your helpful feedback and our recent reviews we are now going to include an appendix with step by step instructions for the current setup and an instruction that users should check in the the MIT site for changes.

Again thanks, your feedback was really encouraging and helpful.

Paula
I've been through the setup web page mini-tutorial and it's been a nice exercise. Everything it very well explained, and everything works perfect. Congratulations!

I'll go through the rest of the book as new chapters are appearing. If the rest of the text is that clear and the code is performing well, it is going to be a nice experience to teach developping Android applications to seconday school students.

Regrads.
Pedro