The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

This topic is READ ONLY
BristolGarry (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there - My son and I are working through Hello World, and have become stumped on program 14.2. We are using Python 3.3.2, and when we run the program as downloaded, get a syntax error. My son was able to figure out the upgraded handling of the print parameters (parentheses around quotes), and we no longer get a syntax error message, but the program does not print out the correct size, color and direction information. This is what is returned:

I just created a ball.
My ball is
My ball is
My ball's direction is
Now I'm going to bounce the ball
Now the ball's direction is

Any suggestions? I have searched through the errata to no success, and assume that what we are experiencing has to do with a difference in the way that Python 2.6 and 3.3 handle objects, but I cannot find a reference that clarifies the problem that we are having. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated so that we can proceed.

Thanks!