The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

cdoremus (8) [Avatar] Offline
There is a paucity of information on @TypeChecked or @CompileStatic in the MEAP book except for a short paragraph at the end of the introduction of section 1.5 with the promise of more information in chapter 3, but that promised is unfulfilled,

I'm just learning Groovy 2, and here are a few questions I'd hope the book would answer:
1. What is the difference between @TypeChecked and @CompileStatic?
2. What are the disadvantages of using @TypeChecked and @CompileStatic?
3. Do you need Groovy++ now that @TypeChecked and @CompileStatic are built into Groovy. The Groovy++ section (19.10) has no mention of the new Groovy annotations.

It seems to me that @TypeChecked and @CompileStatic are an important part of Groovy 2, so they deserve better coverage in a book about Groovy 2.

TIA
bodiam (27) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Little information on @TypeChecked or @CompileStatic
Hi Cdoremus,

Thanks for the response on the forum. While I'm not an expert on the static compilation part of Groovy, I can assure you that all these topics will be covered in the final version of the Groovy in Action book.

Regarding Groovy++: that no longer exists. I will be part of the Groovy core, and there won't be a distinction between Groovy and ++. At the moment Cedric is writing those those chapters, and, as the one who implemented this in Groovy, he's /the/ person to write about all this.

Please have a bit of patience before the next MEAP will appear, and I hope most of your questions will be answered by then!

Erik Pragt