The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

JacobBosma (4) [Avatar] Offline
I am running the examples. (mvn clean test)
In the previous (first) edition of the book/sourcecode there are nice ant tasks :
startdb, schemaexport,dbmanager (and run). So I can see in the database what has happened, been generated/inserted.

How can I browse the database with the second edition source code ?
Christian Bauer (56) [Avatar] Offline
Re: How access database
Double click on the H2.jar file to start the database. Run with 'mvn -DexternalH2=true clean test'.

Documented here but I will add the steps to the README:

http://jpwh.org/examples/jpwh2/jpwh-2e-examples-20130506/environment/src/main/java/org/jpwh/env/TransactionManagerSetup.java

The problem is that the schema will be dropped immediately after each test run so you won't see much in the database. You'll have to edit this class:

http://jpwh.org/examples/jpwh2/jpwh-2e-examples-20130506/environment/src/main/java/org/jpwh/env/JPATest.java

And comment out the line JPA.dropSchema(). This will of course cause problems if you run more than one test method, as each method expects a clean schema. I will have to think about how to solve this is a user-friendly way.

If you just want to see the SQL and the schema while a test runs, edit logging.properties.
This is how you run a single test method with an external database:

mvn -pl examples -Dtest=org.jpwh.test.simple.CRUD#storeAndQueryItems -DexternalH2=true clean test

You will have to edit JPATest.java and disable JPA.dropSchema() to see anything in the database. I will document this better and add a disableDropSchema system property.
And execute 'mvn -DskipTests=true clean install' before you run the single test and after editing JPATest.java.
JacobBosma (4) [Avatar] Offline
Perfect.
Just one more thing needed to be changed :
HibernateSetup.java : property hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto from create-drop to create.