cweber (7) [Avatar] Offline
This week I started to toy with available RDFa, starting with some references that I've found in this book, like Best Buy usage of Good Relations (chapter 3). So I've tried to get data from Best Buy, hoping to learn a bit more about GoodRelations, but I've been disappointed as I saw that Best Buy is currently using Open Graph Protocol instead of GoodRelations. After I noticed, I read this chapter again and then I saw Figure 3.15 showing the OG vocabulary instead of GR.

I found @ Sindice that Best Buy had a dataset available at products.semweb.bestbuy.com, but Sindice tells that the last time it was this dataset was reachable was around 2011 June. All resources returned by Sindice are still available (http://products.semweb.bestbuy.com/products/9234198/semanticweb.rdf, for example) but probably this is not up to date, right?

So, can I assume that Best Buy does not uses Good Relations for products anymore? Will this chapter be changed to reflect this?

Thanks!

Cristofer
david.wood (45) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 3: RDFa, Best Buy and Good Relations
Hi Christofer,

Thanks for catching this. I'm afraid this is going to be a constant problem for us. The Web changes far too fast for the book publication process.

Our Chapter 3 has a quote from Jay Myers that says that Best Buy’s click-through rate improved when they started using RDFa and GoodRelations. That is still accurate. I do think that we should amend the chapter to note that GR was used but they have continued to experiment. I'm concerned about trying to chase the tail of a moving beast.

I'll discuss this with Marsha and our Manning editors and see what they suggest.

Also, sincere apologies for the late response. Several of us were traveling.

Regards,
Dave
cweber (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Dave, thanks for answering!

I agree with you that these changes could be a problem. While proof-reading your manuscripts I noticed that you mentioned LinkedDataDeveloper.com as a companion site for this book, maybe this companion site can be your channel for changes like that (it's not working, right?).

Few days ago I found a SPARQL endpoint provided by BestBuy where offers are still described with GoodRelations: http://metis.bbyopen.com/sparql?query= and seems to be up to date, but it's an alpha service and it seems that there are no commitments to keep this endpoint working.

Will some of you authors be present on WWW2013 conference?

Thanks!

Best Regards
Cristofer
david.wood (45) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Cristofer,

Right, LinkedDataDeveloper.com is still in progress. We plan to have it up by the time the book is in print.

Unfortunately, none of us will be in Rio for the conference. It would have been fun smilie

Regards,
Dave