kerford (14) [Avatar] Offline
I did a search for "execution" and "disabled" but didn't find a post on this.

I think it would be advisable to put some introductory information in the initial chapters that deal with the initial setup of Powershell (I know you told us to read the PS month of lunches, but how many people do you think really will take a month off before launching into your book?) I would suggest info on how to get the latest PS version and this tricky item about enabling script execution in PS. Without it, most of the PS commands in the book will error out. I, and I imagine others, in the book's audience may be setting up servers in the cloud at AWS or elsewhere where they get a basic install on Win Server.

I found this technet article (it's for PS1 but it works in PS3).
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176949.aspx

Loving the book so far. Thanks for a easy to read/follow explanation of IIS - something I've been yearning for, for years.

Kelly
jason.helmick (63) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Execution of Scripts is Disabled
Thanks for the feedback Kerford. I really appreciate what your saying. The particular issue you had I can probably throw in to the book for clarity sake - so thank you. Unfortunately while it may seem like there are only one or two things to know about PowerShell, there is actually much more to be effective.

So, to stay focused on IIS - I show how to perform all the tasks through the graphical and show the PowerShell stuff for those that know PowerShell. I do my best to encourage Admins that have not learned powershell - but its a hard tool to learn at first I just can't devote much space to it. That's why I put the book reference in for Don's book.

Keep sending me suggestions though...if I can make small clarifications I certainly will!

Thank you!
kerford (14) [Avatar] Offline
I totally understand Jason. I appreciate the IIS focus. As it's a small and universal thing (PS comes with script execution disabled by default) that could trip first-timers up, it's something to consider.

I'll keep plugging away smilie

Kelly
jason.helmick (63) [Avatar] Offline
oh! I totally agree with you - especially on Script execution policy

There are a couple more areas your going to hit in later chapters where I think I have given enouph start-up information from aPowerShell perspective, but if not - call me out on it and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers!