Muzietto (19) [Avatar] Offline
After some initial browsing, I started studying the book. So far it looks informative and useful to me.

I liked chapter 2 very much because of its usage of plain HTML and CSS and I was looking forward to keeping the same method in the following chapters. Instead I see that from chapter 3 on, we are supposed to use a framework.

I am not sure I appreciate the reasons given as explanation for this choice: I believe that flexible & rapid prototyping at professional level is mostly a matter of understanding thoroughly the basics of markup and not about using some helper system. I remember years ago, when as a newbie I started using some css-based grid system (I forgot its name meanwhile). The beginning was very exciting, but after a few months I found myself bogged down in a bunch of redundant classes and conventions.

Another matter of disappointment is the sudden change of subject between chapter 2 and 3. Not didactically sound, do you agree? Moreover, giving us as example a page of your personal blog smells a bit like recycling some material that was ready at hand smilie Why not proceed with the stuff in chapter 2 or using there your blog page already? Too bad...

Having said all this, I do feel like getting to the end of the process, with the idea that it will be useful to me: there is a lot of material out there teaching jQuery Mobile rather than mobile page development and I believe your book strikes a good balance between theory, practice and craft.

I am glad I entered this MEAP; looking forward to complete it.

Have a good day,
Marco from Italy

Message was edited by:
Muzietto
matthew.carver (23) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Hello, is there an author? - Starting the book
Hi Marco,

Thanks for your notes. We're working to address much of the issues you've brought up here, but just to give you a little background:

My decision to use a framework for rapid prototyping was to take away the need to write CSS or JS for a prototype. When going into prototyping it's important to not spend time working through the creative direction of a page and instead focus on building the ground work for the rest of the site. The code itself should not be used in production, but the theory should still apply. I agree that when youre new to development, relying on a framework is easy but its also very limiting, which is why foundation should be avoided in a production environment.

The change between chapters 2 and 3 was intended to move from "here are the basics of building a site" to the more detailed ground up workflow issues, like the need for a responsive prototype.

Also, I'm in no way recycling material here. I chose to use my own personal site since it's material that I am very familiar with and most developers have a need for one some level. It circumvents the need to discuss the business logic involved in a lot of responsive development conversations by using an example that should be very familiar to all readers. The one of the first sites a lot of people build is their own personal site, so I thought it was an example everyone could relate to.

All and all I hope you're enjoying the book and look forward to completing it soon.

Thanks again!
- Matt