The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Muzietto (19) [Avatar] Offline
After some initial browsing, I started studying the book. So far it looks informative and useful to me.

I liked chapter 2 very much because of its usage of plain HTML and CSS and I was looking forward to keeping the same method in the following chapters. Instead I see that from chapter 3 on, we are supposed to use a framework.

I am not sure I appreciate the reasons given as explanation for this choice: I believe that flexible & rapid prototyping at professional level is mostly a matter of understanding thoroughly the basics of markup and not about using some helper system. I remember years ago, when as a newbie I started using some css-based grid system (I forgot its name meanwhile). The beginning was very exciting, but after a few months I found myself bogged down in a bunch of redundant classes and conventions.

Another matter of disappointment is the sudden change of subject between chapter 2 and 3. Not didactically sound, do you agree? Moreover, giving us as example a page of your personal blog smells a bit like recycling some material that was ready at hand smilie Why not proceed with the stuff in chapter 2 or using there your blog page already? Too bad...

Having said all this, I do feel like getting to the end of the process, with the idea that it will be useful to me: there is a lot of material out there teaching jQuery Mobile rather than mobile page development and I believe your book strikes a good balance between theory, practice and craft.

I am glad I entered this MEAP; looking forward to complete it.

Have a good day,
Marco from Italy

Message was edited by:
Muzietto
matthew.carver (23) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Hello, is there an author? - Starting the book
Hi Marco,

Thanks for your notes. We're working to address much of the issues you've brought up here, but just to give you a little background:

My decision to use a framework for rapid prototyping was to take away the need to write CSS or JS for a prototype. When going into prototyping it's important to not spend time working through the creative direction of a page and instead focus on building the ground work for the rest of the site. The code itself should not be used in production, but the theory should still apply. I agree that when youre new to development, relying on a framework is easy but its also very limiting, which is why foundation should be avoided in a production environment.

The change between chapters 2 and 3 was intended to move from "here are the basics of building a site" to the more detailed ground up workflow issues, like the need for a responsive prototype.

Also, I'm in no way recycling material here. I chose to use my own personal site since it's material that I am very familiar with and most developers have a need for one some level. It circumvents the need to discuss the business logic involved in a lot of responsive development conversations by using an example that should be very familiar to all readers. The one of the first sites a lot of people build is their own personal site, so I thought it was an example everyone could relate to.

All and all I hope you're enjoying the book and look forward to completing it soon.

Thanks again!
- Matt