mroswell (4) [Avatar] Offline
shp2pgsql-gui is not apparently available as a plugin in a default windows install. I have no plugins installed by default for pgAdmin III.

Thus the instructions:

Using pgAdmin III, we first highlight the database and then fire up shp2pgsql-gui using the plug-in menu or button. See figure 1.4.

didn't work for me.

Luckily, I found shp2pgsql-gui.exe in an executable file on my windows install.

Also note: Figure 1.4 is a bit small and fuzzy, and hard to read.
I can tell that the text says to change the name to: highways_staging, while the graphic itself shows the word "roads."

I also suggest specifically mentioning (not just in the graphic) to change the schema to ch01. I foolishly lost about an hour looking for the table the first time I imported it, because it landed in 'public' and I didn't see it there. I'm sure I wouldn't have missed it, though, if it was mentioned in the text.

(I'm still not sure of what schema are... but perhaps all will be revealed as I progress.)

Margie
regina.leo (254) [Avatar] Offline
Re: shp2pgsql-gui instructions
You should. Which version of pgAdmin III are you using.

What often causes this problem is if you have multiple versions of PostgreSQL on your system, and the pgAdmin you are using is not pointing at the binary location where you PostgreSQL with PostGIS is installed.

This link we wrote a while ago might help:

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/180-PgAdmin-III-1.13-change-in-plugin-architecture-and-PostGIS-Plugins.html
FLGM (3) [Avatar] Offline
The case was the same for me. I had to use the executable as the only plugin I have available in my pgAdmin III plugin list is the PSQL Console.

Version string PostgreSQL 9.1.9, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 64-bit

PostGIS 2.0 for PSQL 9.1 (v. 2.0.3)

pgAdmin II (v. 1.14.3)

Message was edited by:
FLGM
regina.leo (254) [Avatar] Offline
Under file->Options-Binary Paths -- what does your PG bin path read?

The pgAdmin only install and the pgAdmin that comes with PostgreSQL are slightly different. For PostgreSQL pgAdmin this should point to the bin folder of your PostgreSQL install and you should have plugins.d folder in your /pgAdmin III of (install folder/pgAdmin III)

The plugins.d should have a file called postgis.shp2pgsql-gui.ini