mike@systemsplanet.com (86) [Avatar] Offline
Ben,

I'm about half way through your book and really have learned a lot!!
It's much higher quality than the other Manning book I'm reading, which I've reported over 80 mistakes: http://www.manning-sandbox.com/forum.jspa?forumID=799

I'm building an HTML widget using what I've learned from you.
I burned almost an entire day trying to get a basic jsonp cross-domain request to work....

At first I thought the problem was the version of jQuery on the host page (1.4.4). So I added a newer version using noConflict(), however, when the jsonp reply returned an HTML login page (because auth cookies were not passed with the request) the original jQuery variable somehow got set to null...which broke the Jive server page it was hosted on, making it impossible for me to edit it!!

I got around this using a Charles Proxy modify rule to filter out the noConflict call from the html body. So what I learned is, noConflict doesn't always work, and Charles Proxy is a life-saver when you break a page.

In the end, the problem ended up being that I had set Chrome to disallow 3rd Party cookies months ago, and forgot.... Maybe worth mentioning somewhere that you must disable that setting before trying any 3rd party cross-domain stuff where you need cookies included with the request.

Looking forward to the remaining chapters.
Mike
mike@systemsplanet.com (86) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Nice work!!
Just downloaded the final version.
Congratulations!

mike
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Nice work!!
Hey Mike,

Thanks for kind words re: the book. Sorry you hit this snag.

> Maybe worth mentioning somewhere that you must disable that setting before trying any 3rd party cross-domain stuff where you need cookies included with the request.

You know, that's a really good point. We don't really explain what third-party cookies are until late in the book, and if you have it disabled beforehand, you'd have trouble running the examples.

If we get a chance to do an update I'd see about inserting a notice about third-party cookies earlier; possibly in chapter 2.

Thanks!

- Ben