The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

pgb_ct (3) [Avatar] Offline
Perhaps I'm going to be tedious here. But, there might be something here:

I would reserve the present tense for this book and the current experience between the author and the reader(s).

That is, reserve the past tense for history before this book, present tense for the relationship between author and reader(s)), and future for things yet to come after this book. I think that makes it all simpler to present ideas.
(I'm a Strunk and White fan too)

As an example from pages 1 and 2:

We’ll begin with the motivation for the language, so you can gain an understanding of
why Lisp was created. After that, we’ll address the seemingly strange syntax of the
language. The unfamiliarity with Lisp syntax often causes people to be turned off the
language; hence, it’s important to understand the reasoning behind its choice. Once we get
that out of the way, we’ll address three main topics. The first will deal with what makes Lisp
special and how Clojure benefits from being a Lisp. The second will explain what it means for

Clojure to be a functional programming language. Finally, we’ll discuss the advantage of
Clojure being hosted on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

Here is a basic tweeking following my suggestion plus a few minor changes:

Let's begin with the motivation for the language, so you gain an understanding of
[- can]
why Lisp was created. After that, we address the seemingly strange syntax of the
language. Unfamiliarity with Lisp syntax often causes people to be turned off;
hence, it’s important to understand when Lisp is a good choice. Once we get
that out of the way, we address three main topics. The first explains why Lisp
is
special and how Clojure benefits from being a Lisp. The second topic explains what it means that
Clojure is a functional programming language. Finally, we discuss the advantage of
hosting
Clojure on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

--

Other sentences can be tweeked along these lines too.

A nice sentence is:

At the end of this discussion, you won’t be surprised to learn that Clojure is being used in
an equally wide set of domains to solve an equally challenging set of problems

A minor tweeked version might be:

After this discussion, there remains no surprise that Clojure is used in
a broad set of domains to solve diverse and challenging problems

If you have interest, there are more...
amitrathore (132) [Avatar] Offline
Re: tenses in writing
Thanks for your comment - I was just pointed to this forum. I'll take a look at the text and see what the tenses are like, and try to fix them up like the examples you gave... I think they read better.

Thanks again!